Author: Kyria d'Oreyn
Cowinde was a Maiden of the Spear before becoming gai'shain, but the bleakness got hold of her and she refuses to put off white, even after her year and a day is over. When Egwene questions Cowinde about herself, all she replies is that she is gai'shain and that nothing else matters (TFoH, Ch. 5; LoC, Ch. 15).
- Cowinde comes to summon Egwene to the sweat tent, where the Wise Ones are waiting (TFoH, Ch. 5).
- She wakes Egwene from her nightmares shortly before dawn (TFoH, Ch. 7).
- She serves Egwene supper; when she wants to clear it away and finds Egwene asleep, she tells the Wise Ones, who meet Egwene in Tel'aran'rhiod (TFoH, Ch. 24).
- After Cowinde serves Egwene breakfast, Melaine sends her to do a hopeless task in the vain hope that she might put off the white (LoC, Ch. 15).
- Egwene wakes Cowinde to hand her a note that she is to leave at The Long Man for Gawyn (LoC, Ch. 33).
"I am gai'shain," the woman hoarsely told the rugs in front of her face. "If the answer displeases, punish me, but I can give no other." (Cowinde to Egwene; The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 5)