The Shadow Rising: Chapter 11
Author: Inanna Landred
Chapter Icon: Dream Ter'angreal
Point of View: Egwene
Egwene leaves the ter'angreal that gives her access to the World of Dreams on the table as she wants to attempt to reach it without the brown, red and blue speckled ring.
She found a book that describes Tanchico in some detail, with some useful drawings.
Egwene dreams herself into Tel'aran'rhiod while Elayne, Nynaeve and Aviendha keep a close watch on her sleeping body. Aviendha sits on the floor, still fully armed after the attack. Egwene marks a candle with her thumb and tells them to wake her up as soon as it burns down to the mark. Egwene has a list in her pouch of all the ter'angreal that were stolen by the Black Ajah and some of them might give access to the World of Dreams. They recovered two from Amico and Joiya, but that meant eleven still remained, making Tel'aran'rhiod a very dangerous place. The Black Ajah could be waiting for her there, but she must go there now, so she tries to put her fears aside.
She dreams herself into Tanchico, into the Panarch's palace.
Amongst some ancient animal skeletons she finds several angreal, one of which a broken ter'angreal of a woman holding a sphere.
She walks on and thinks to herself that maybe the Wise Ones' would be able to teach her more about Dream walking. Before she knows it, she is in the Aiel Waste, watching an Aiel woman hunt a boar. The woman stops to stare at her and she firmly fixes Tanchico in her mind. After a few seconds she is back in front of the huge skeleton where she started. She finds her way outside and walks through Tanchico, wondering why there are dogs and pigeons, but no horses, although there are lots of rats in the stables. She wonders if a Wise One would know and finds herself back in the Waste yet again. She is run over by the charging boar this time and when she scrambles to her feet, she finds the same Aiel woman from before looking at her.
The Aiel woman's spear is pointed at her and Egwene tries to make her lower it long enough so she can concentrate and get back to the palace, so she dresses herself in cadin'sor. As a result the Aiel woman tells her she has no right to wear cadin'sor and dreams her clothes away and Egwene is left naked. She concentrates to get her clothes back and fix the Aiel woman naked in her mind long enough for her to get back to Tanchico. She briefly glimpses a blonde woman with a silver bow before getting back.
Once back in Tanchico it is not long before the Aiel woman finds her again and introduces herself as Amys.
It is obvious that Amys knows much more about the World of Dreams and just before Egwene is pulled out she demands that Egwene come to her in Cold Rocks Hold.
This section contains Notes on this Chapter which may contain spoilers. Please expand to view.
Visions and Prophecies
- Egwene's Dreams
- "Rand as tall as a mountain, walking through cities, crushing buildings beneath his feet, with screaming people like ants fleeing from him.
- Rand in chains, and it was he who was screaming.
- Rand building a wall with him on one side and her on the other, her and Elayne and others she could not make out."
- "She had dreamed of Aiel fighting each other, killing each other, even throwing away their weapons and running as if they had gone mad.
- Mat wrestling with a Seanchan woman who tied an invisible leash to him.
- A wolf - she was sure it was Perrin, though - fighting a man whose face kept changing.
- Galad wrapping himself in white as though putting on his own shroud, and
- Gawyn with his eyes full of pain and hatred. Her mother weeping."