The Dragon Reborn: Chapter 38
Author: Val a'Shain
Chapter Icon: Wheel and Serpent
Point of View: Egwene
Nynaeve Heals a Maiden of the Spear.
A startled Egwene reaches for saidar before she realizes the woman in front of them doesn't seem to be a threat. Egwene has never seen one before but from descriptions she has heard this woman must be an Aiel Maiden of the Spear. The woman introduces herself as Aviendha. Aviendha wants to know if they are women of the White Tower. When Nynaeve confirms that, she asks for their assistance. One of her companions is wounded.
Aviendha leads them to her companions, Chiad, Bain, Jolien and Dailin, also Maidens of the Spear. Dailin was wounded in a fight with Cairhienin soldiers. While Nynaeve tends to Dailin's wounds the others discuss various Aiel customs, most of which make very little sense to Egwene. The first-sister bond Chiad and Bain have puzzles her.
Nynaeve makes Dailin drink a mixture of various herbs and gets herself so upset over men with swords and fighting in general that she is able to Heal Dailin with the One Power.
- Egwene doesn't underestimate the unknown woman, even though Aviendha seemingly doesn't carry weapons
- She feels affinity towards Aviendha
This section contains Notes on this Chapter which may contain spoilers. Please expand to view.
Later this is shown that it means that she can tell that Aviendha is a person who can channel, born with the spark
- First Appearance
Aviendha, Bain, Chiad, Jolien, Dailin
- They seem to accept that death is inevitable, but they prefer to choose how to die
First sisters may be blood related sisters or they may be proclaimed first sisters by their Wise Ones
- Maidens of the Spear
- they pledge to not have a man or a child, even though some Maidens may prefer this life
- a Wise One cannot be a Maiden
- Maidens of different clans do not fight with each other
- Maidens would not harm another woman, especially Aes Sedai