|Birthday||February 15, 1982|
|Join Date||April 23, 2004|
|Bonded to||Jadira Paerael|
|Link to Forum Profile|
Sela Narian is an Aes Sedai of the Brown Ajah with over fifteen years of Tower membership and several staff, admin, and executive administration contributions. In the past, she has served as Head of the Brown Ajah, Director of Communications, Editor of the Tar Valon Times, and multiple other staff positions. IRL, she is a writer, editor, and educational designer, working in the software industry. She is working on two novels (twelve novels) (two hundred novels) at the same time and is determined to be published eventually.
She performs at conventions in the Wheel of Time group, The Flaming Sisters, with Eleyan Teyal Al'Landerin, singing songs they co-wrote. Sela is also the creator, writer, and director of The Wheel of Time Interpretive Dance: The Eye of the World, an insane show which has performed multiple times at Dragon*Con and JordanCon.
Sela is first-sister to Ne'mireth Simoua and sister-in-law to Toral Delvar. She exists as one half of the HinJew, a supernatural synthesis of Zashara Da'sainne's and Sela's souls, which makes them both terrifying and magnificent.
- 1 Tower History
- 2 Tower Involvement
- 3 Tower Relationships
- 4 Official Event Attendance
- 5 Who Am I
- 6 Senior Member Interview
- 7 Super Official and Srs Bzns Brown Interview
- Joined TarValon.Net: April 23, 2004
- Joined Tower: April 23, 2004
- Raised Accepted: October 12, 2004
- Raised Aes Sedai: March 3, 2005
- Sitter for the Brown Ajah:
- Merit Staff: January 15, 2014 - January, 2016
- Integration Focus Group member: June 1, 2014 - June 22, 2014
- Chat Operator: April 14, 2014 - October 11, 2014
- Tar Valon Times Staff: July 1, 2012 - May 31, 2014
- Head of the Brown Ajah: October 1, 2012 - April 26, 2014
- Chat Operator: July 30, 2005 - December 31, 2011
- Tech & Media Moderator: July 1, 2009 - December 31, 2010
- Heart of the Brown Ajah:
- Fall 2006
- Spring 2006
- Director of Communication: February 26, 2007 - November 23, 2008
- Assistant to the IRC Administrator: July 30, 2005 - March 6, 2007
- Author: Tinker in the Kitchen (song)
- Library Editor
- Members' Choice Award: Most Intellectual - 2006
- Members' Choice Award: Best Non-WoT Intellectual - 2008
- Members' Choice Award: Most Artistic Member, Written - 2008
- Members' Choice Award: Most Educating Member - 2009
- Members' Choice Award: Geekiest Member - 2010
- Members' Choice Award: Outstanding Aes Sedai Involvement - 2014
- Members' Choice Award: Most likely to Object to the capitalisation - 2016
- Members' Choice Award: Most Likely to Win but Not Even Know They Were Nominated - 2016
- Alwyn da'Cara, Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah
- Leora Oldessroth, former Keeper and Aes Sedai of the Red Ajah
- Ubahsur Kindellaer, Aes Sedai of the White Ajah
- Sulamein Jorh'aran, Aes Sedai of the Brown Ajah
- Nymeria Donnachaidh, Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah
Other Tower Relationships
Official Event Attendance
- Anniversary Party 2006 - Corpus Christi, Texas, USA
- Anniversary Party 2007 - Winter Park, Colorado, USA
- Dragon*Con 2005 - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Dragon*Con 2006 - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Dragon*Con 2007 - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Who Am I
I'm a writer of many genres, especially fantasy and romance. My main focus currently is an epic fantasy novel about a master painter struggling with artist's block, who works on a sacred mural only painted once each millennia that starts a war among the gods.
My other main work is a young adult novel about a teenage girl who belongs to a secret time traveling guild. I'm in revision stages with it.
I previously worked as an editor over a decade. My favorite thing to edit was fiction, especially for developmental editing. I also edited lots of non-fiction, mostly academic.
I am obsessed with words in numerous forms and disciplines: languages, historical linguistics, etymology, history of the alphabets, fiction writing, essay writing, journaling, technical writing, graphic design of text, acting through expression of words...I could go on and on. I love studying the stories of words and letters.
I studied ancient languages and civilizations at the University of Iowa. I enjoy singing, acting, guitar and piano. I taught a theater workshop for elementary school kids.
Suzanne Day was named in my honor to celebrate my birthday for weeks on end. My birthday is February 15. It's no better or worse than anyone else's birthday, so it's only called Suzanne Day and takes place around my birthday because I established it, rather like claiming the Latin name of a new species of rattlesnake when you stumble across it upon being cast into the desert like Moses and you just kicked a rock because you're pissed and hungry. THIS IS MY RATTLESNAKE. It is loud and showy and less deadly than it wishes.
Senior Member Interview
Updated 17 February, 2021
- Why did you choose Brown?
Because I am so obviously Brown it's laughable to choose anything else.
- Are you like the Browns in the books? Do you love books and have a tendency to daydream?
I love books and do have a huge tendency to daydream. Yes, I'm like the Book Browns.
- Do you have a favorite Brown Ajah character from the novels?
VERIN. Anyone who doesn't choose Verin is strange, I think. If I were in Randland, I feel my trajectory in life would match Verin's almost exactly.
- Who is your favorite protagonist? Antagonist?
Verin, Lan, and Egwene are my favorites. Favorite WoT antagonist is probably Moridin/Ishamael.
- How long have you been a fan of the Wheel of Time series?
Since about 2001.
- How did you first get into the series?
I had never caught onto fantasy books; mostly literature and romance. I bet a friend I couldn't read all nine books in two weeks. Took me ten days. Now fantasy is one of my favorite genres.
- Favorite book and scene?
Honey in the Tea is probably my favorite chapter. It's in Knife of Dreams, from Egwene's perspective. Another is Verin's scene with Egwene in the last book. Favorite book is probably Book Four, The Shadow Rising. I also really love A Memory of Light.
- What sort of job do you do in "real life"?
I'm a content strategist for a software company, researching customer experience and designing educational resources to help customers set up their accounts.
- What profession did you want to have when you were a kid?
- What languages do you speak?
Native English, half-fluent in French and Hebrew. Also studied Latin and Greek in university and am comfortable translating with a lexicon. I can eavesdrop to ineffective degrees in Italian, Korean, Spanish, and German.
- Aside from The Wheel of Time, what are a few of your favorite books/series?
The Queen's Thief, The Stormlight Archive, The Demon's Lexicon, Wallflowers, Bevelstoke.
- What are some of your favorite movies/television shows?
TV: Babylon 5, Grey's Anatomy, The Man in the High Castle, The Good Place, Doctor Who, You From Another Star, The Princess's Man.
Movies: Singin' in the Rain, Back to the Future II, Pride & Prejudice (both 1995 miniseries + 2005 film), Emma (the 2009 BBC miniseries with Romola Garai).
- What kind of music do you enjoy listening to?
Classical piano, opera, musicals, oldies rock (mostly from the 60s), Taylor Swift, anything I want.
- Do you have any hobbies?
Reading, writing, languages, history, mixology/spirit alcohol. I like making and creating new cocktails.
- Do you have a pet?
I have two spaniels named Sigma and Zephyr. They're the sweetest boys ever.
BEHOLD THEIR GLORY
- Tea or coffee?
I enjoy both tea and coffee. I like making espresso drinks. It's similar to why I like cocktails, except no liquor.
- Seanchan or Shara?
I don't care about Seanchan or Shara either one; there's not enough known about both to compare.
- Verin or Adeleas?
Verin each and every day.
- Board games or computer games?
I like playing Scrabble.
- A short bio about yourself:
A writer who loves languages, meanings, and history. Other interests include time travel, poetry, baseball, puppies, trashy romance, and classical art.
Super Official and Srs Bzns Brown Interview
July 16, 2019
- What's your blood type?
- Zodiac sign?
- Hogwarts house?
- Myers-Briggs type?
- D&D alignment?
- Favorite color?
Turquoise or purple
- Favorite cryptid?
I did not know what this is. I googled it and decided I wanted to continue not knowing.
- Favorite baby recipe?
Smoothies. Add fruit for sweetness.
- Favorite member of the MCU?
- Favorite Star Wars character?
- Favorite role to play in mafia?
- Favorite letter?
- Best Brown Out story?
I don't keep track; that would require effort for way too many instances. It's a way of life.
- What else would you like us to know about you?
It's okay; you don't need to know anything else about me.