|Birthday||February 15, 1982|
|Join Date||April 23, 2004|
|Bonded to||Darim Pelegro|
|Link to Forum Profile|
Sela Narian is an Aes Sedai of the Brown Ajah with over fifteen years of Tower membership and several staff, admin, and executive administration contributions. In the past, she has served as Head of the Brown Ajah, Director of Communications, Editor of the Tar Valon Times, and multiple other staff positions. IRL, she is a writer and editor, working in the software industry. She is working on two novels (twelve novels) (two hundred novels) at the same time and is determined to be published eventually.
She performs at conventions in the Wheel of Time group, The Flaming Sisters, with Eleyan Teyal Al'Landerin, singing songs they co-wrote. Sela is also the creator, writer, and director of The Wheel of Time Interpretive Dance: The Eye of the World, an insane show which has performed multiple times at Dragon*Con and JordanCon.
Sela is first-sister to Ne'mireth Simoua and sister-in-law to Toral Delvar. She exists as one half of the HinJew, a supernatural synthesis of Zashara Da'sainne's and Sela's souls, which makes them both terrifying and magnificent. She is Bonded to Darim Pelegro of Mahdi'in d'ma Dieb and consequently to Pylar al'Stnap of the Brown Ajah, Darim's other excellent bondmate. Their bond marks the historic first TarValon.Net bonding of one Gaidin with two Aes Sedai. Pylar and Sela schemed this double bonding on their own and fortunately, Darim was amenable. They support him in all unholy campaigns he pursues and have no doubt that he will rule a moderate portion of the world when the Breaking comes again.
- Joined TarValon.Net: April 23, 2004
- Joined Tower: April 23, 2004
- Raised Accepted: October 12, 2004
- Raised Aes Sedai: March 3, 2005
- Sitter for the Brown Ajah:
- Merit Staff: January 15, 2014 - January, 2016
- Integration Focus Group member: June 1, 2014 - June 22, 2014
- Chat Operator: April 14, 2014 - October 11, 2014
- Tar Valon Times Staff: July 1, 2012 - May 31, 2014
- Head of the Brown Ajah: October 1, 2012 - April 26, 2014
- Chat Operator: July 30, 2005 - December 31, 2011
- Tech & Media Moderator: July 1, 2009 - December 31, 2010
- Heart of the Brown Ajah:
- Fall 2006
- Spring 2006
- Director of Communication: February 26, 2007 - November 23, 2008
- Assistant to the IRC Administrator: July 30, 2005 - March 6, 2007
- Author: Tinker in the Kitchen (song)
- Library Editor
- Members' Choice Award: Most Intellectual - 2006
- Members' Choice Award: Best Non-WoT Intellectual - 2008
- Members' Choice Award: Most Artistic Member, Written - 2008
- Members' Choice Award: Most Educating Member - 2009
- Members' Choice Award: Geekiest Member - 2010
- Members' Choice Award: Outstanding Aes Sedai Involvement - 2014
- Members' Choice Award: Most likely to Object to the capitalisation - 2016
- Members' Choice Award: Most Likely to Win but Not Even Know They Were Nominated - 2016
- Alwyn da'Cara, Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah
- Leora Oldessroth, Keeper, former Aes Sedai of the Red Ajah
- Ubahsur Kindellaer, Aes Sedai of the White Ajah
- Sulamein Jorh'aran, Aes Sedai of the Brown Ajah
- Nymeria Donnachaidh, Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah
Other Tower Relationships
Official Event Attendance
- Anniversary Party 2006 - Corpus Christi, Texas, USA
- Anniversary Party 2007 - Winter Park, Colorado, USA
- Dragon*Con 2005 - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Dragon*Con 2006 - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Dragon*Con 2007 - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Who Am I
I'm a writer of many genres, especially fantasy and romance. My current work is a young adult novel about a teenage girl who belongs to a secret time traveling guild. I'm in revision stages with it.
My favorite thing to edit is fiction, especially when I'm hired for developmental editing. I also edit lots of non-fiction, mostly academic.
I am obsessed with words in numerous forms and disciplines: languages, historical linguistics, etymology, history of the alphabets, fiction writing, essay writing, journaling, technical writing, graphic design of text, acting through expression of words...I could go on and on. I love studying the stories of words and letters.
I studied ancient languages and civilizations at the University of Iowa. I enjoy singing, acting, guitar and piano. I taught a theater workshop for elementary school kids.
Suzanne Day was named in my honor to celebrate my birthday for weeks on end. My birthday is February 15. It's no better or worse than anyone else's birthday, so it's only called Suzanne Day and takes place around my birthday because I established it, rather like claiming the Latin name of a new species of rattlesnake when you stumble across it upon being cast into the desert like Moses and you just kicked a rock because you're pissed and hungry. THIS IS MY RATTLESNAKE. It is loud and showy and less deadly than it wishes.
Senior Member Interview
Why did you choose Brown?
I've certainly matched my share of Brown stereotypes (absent-minded, selective focus, ignoring the world when it suits me), but I am Brown because I love knowledge and I love reading. I never stop learning and I never stop wishing to share my favorite parts of what I've learned with others. I get so excited by books and by information.
How was your time as Citizen/Novice/Accepted?
It was nice. I was about 97% certain I was joining Brown (White was the other 3%) but I also loved being a Junior Member. I taught a class on WoT Prophecies as an Accepted and that was awesome.
How did you get to read the Series?
In 2003, I worked at a bookstore; I ended up working there four years. One of my friends and coworkers used to tease me about loving romance books so much. I made a deal with him: if I read That Series With Which He's So Obsessed, and I finished it in two weeks total, he had to read a romance of my choice.
That series was, of course, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. When I started it, I didn't like the fantasy genre. When I finished, I was in love and now it's my favorite genre.
I read all nine books at the time in 12 days (I was a student and it was summer), so I won the bet. He never read the romance book and he has Toh to me for this.
Have you ever attended any Real Life Functions? Did you like them if you did, and why? (Why do you think people should come to any future functions?)
I've attended three Dragon*Cons, two JordanCons, and two anniversary parties. They are awesome and everyone should do it. I've also attended four admin meetings in Iowa (twice), California, and Georgia, plus many, many local events, mostly in the Michigan area. I also meet up sometimes with Tower members in Israel.
Real Life Events are a great way to truly get to know people and put faces to the posts. Then you can bond even more online!
Do you have a pet?
I have a puppy. His name is Sigma. He's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
Coke or Pepsi?
Neither. I don't really like soda. I usually just drink water.