Master/Mistress of Revels (Europe)
The MoR – Euro was an Admin level role responsible for planning our large-scale European Events each year, traditionally held in the summer.
This person was a member of the Department of Events & Conferences team, and worked with the staff of the department and event volunteers to plan the event, end to end. Each event is approximately a 15 month process, from solicitation of proposals, selection of location and facilities, contracting with site, registration & administration, and planning of the event schedule itself. The MoR-Euro will also help to develop the MoR manual with what he/she learns during training.
Chain of Command
The Master/Mistress of Revels reported directly to the Director of Events & Conferences.
The Local Liaisons and committee groups for each event reported to the Master/Mistress of Revels.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Solicit proposals for each Continental Event. Advise members of proposal requirements and aide in preparation of proposals as requested.
- Work with Amyrlin, Keeper, Director of E&C and Selection Committee to choose location for each Continental Event.
- Work with Local Liaison and Director of E&C to plan details of event.
- Organize and Delegate. You will be working with a strong team of committee leaders, committee members, local liaison, site contacts, and Tower execs who can all help you. Making sure to use them to the benefit of the event and giving them appropriate work is what enables our events to happen.
- Crisis Management. No matter how much pre-planning you do, the unexpected will happen. Recognizing issues early and addressing them calmly and promptly is key.
- Share learnings with other MoRs to ensure continually improving events.
- Must have attended at least one official real life event. Helpful, but not required, is attendance at more than one event. Even better is attendance at more than one kind of event (Summer Euro vs Winter Euro vs Anni, etc.). Better still is serving as staff of an event through committee work or similar.
- Must be a member in good standing for at least one year (you need NOT be a senior member).
- Must be able and willing to travel to each Continental event at your own expense. Cost of tower event (“event ticket”) is covered for MoR, but not transportation, non-event, etc. expenses.
- Must be professional. Responsibilities of this role include representing our community with outside organizations such as lodging options and vendors, and potentially negotiating contracts with these groups. In addition you are held accountable for the responsible management of the funds many of our members pay to attend events. Professionalism, high-performance, and self-starting are mandatory.
- Must be detail-oriented. You must be able to think logically through the entire event and all needs for members. Everything from transportation, food, activities, payments, registration, marketing, budgeting, materials, decorations, room assignments, negotiations with the site, etc. Almost all of the MoR work is done well in advance of the event.
- Must be organized and discreet. There is a lot of information to keep track of, including legal contracts with the facilities, schedules, and registration information including medical and personal data which must be kept confidential.
- Must be able to dedicate at least 15 hours per week to this role. This role has some flexibility in when things must be done, but with the magnitude of work and balancing at least two events at any given time, the work load is significant.