Master/Mistress of Revels (Britain and Ireland)
Department: Department of Events and Conferences
Position Level: Administrator
Rotation: Non-rotating position
Merit Eligibility: Administrator Merit
Chain of Command
The MoR – BI reported directly to the Director of Events & Conferences.
The Local Liaison and committee groups for each event report to the Mistress of Revels.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Solicit proposals for each UK Event. Advise members of proposal requirements and aide in preparation of proposals as requested.
- Coordinate efforts of Euro events with MoR – Continental. Aide in Euro local events.
- Work with Amyrlin, Keeper, Director of E&C and Selection Committee to choose location for each UK Event.
- Work with Local Liaison and Director of E&C to plan details of event.
- Must be organised. There is a lot of information to keep track of, including legal contracts with the facilities, schedules, and registration information including medical and person data which must be kept confidential.
- Must be able to delegate to the committee leaders, committee members, local liaison, site contacts, and Tower execs.
- Crisis Management. Recognizing issues early and addressing them calmly and promptly is key.
- Share learnings with other MoRs to ensure continually improving events.
- Must be able and willing to travel to each UK event at your own expense. Cost of tower event (“event ticket”) is covered for MoR, but not transportation, non-event, etc. expenses.
- Must be professional. Responsibilities of this role include representing our community with outside organizations such as lodging options and vendors, and potentially negotiating contracts with these groups. In addition you are held accountable for the responsible management of the funds many of our members pay to attend events. Professionalism, high-performance, and self-starting are mandatory.
- Must be detail-oriented. You must be able to think logically through entire event and needs for members. Everything from transportation, food, activities, payments, registration, marketing, budgeting, materials, decorations, room assignments, negotiations with the site, etc. Almost all of the MoR work is done well in advance of the event.
- Must be able to dedicate at least 10 hours per week to this role. This role has some flexibility in when things must be done, but with the magnitude of the events, the work load is significant.
- Must have attended at least one official real life event. Helpful, but not required, is attendance at more than one event. Even better is attendance at more than one kind of event (Euro vs. Dragon*Con vs. Anni, etc.). Better still is serving as staff of an event through committee work or similar.
- Must be a member in good standing for at least one year (you need NOT be a senior member).
This position was created in June 2009, when the previous position of Master/Mistress of Revels (Europe) was split into Master/Mistress of Revels (Continental Europe) and Master/Mistress of Revels (Britain and Ireland). At the Winter 2016 Admin Meeting, the decision was made to merge the two positions of MoR-B&I and MoR-Continental Europe back into the one position of Master/Mistress of Revels (Europe).