Author: Lireina Dormerus
When in the Waste, she lives in Cold Rocks Hold and is married to Rhuarc. She has a sister-wife, Lian, who is the roof-mistress of Cold Rocks Hold. Once a Far Dareis Mai before becoming a Wise One, Amys sometimes walks the dream in her old form.
- In her youth, Amys and several Maidens of the Spear discover a wetlander in silks, wandering near the Dragonwall. They followed her for several days, and then questioned her when she finally collapses. This wetlander is Tigraine Mantear, who becomes Shaiel and gives birth to Rand (TSR, Ch. 34).
- While exploring Tel'aran'rhiod, Egwene accidentally stumbles upon Amys in the Aiel Waste, in her guise as a Maiden of the Spear, and Egwene jumps away. She encounters her again, in the dream Tanchico, and Amys tells her to come and train with the Wise Ones (TSR, Ch. 11).
- Amys and three other Wise Ones send a letter to Moiraine at the Stone of Tear, ordering Aviendha to come to them at Chaendaer, near Rhuidean (TSR, Ch. 11).
- Amys, Bair, Melaine, and Seana wait for Rand, Moiraine, and the rest of their party at Chaendaer. She greets Rhuarc and passes greetings from Lian, her sister-wife, and agrees to let Rand enter Rhuidean. She and Melaine prevent an attack on Mat when he also requests to enter Rhuidean, and then they send Aviendha into Rhuidean as well. She and the other Wise Ones then take Moiraine and Egwene into the tents to offer water and shade, and speak of ji'e'toh and Dreamwalking. They then reveal that Moiraine needs to go through the rings in Rhuidean herself, and after she does, they begin to start teaching Egwene Dreamwalking (TSR, Ch. 23).
- Amys and the other Wise Ones meet Rand and Mat coming out of Rhuidean, and after Rand shows the Dragons on both his arms, they go back into the tents, where Amys tells the story of Rand's real parents, Shaiel and Janduin (TSR, Ch. 34).
- Amys teaches Egwene a lesson about going into Tel'aran'rhiod after being told not to by scaring Egwene in her sleep. She then demands that Egwene braid her hair like a child for breaking her word, and then takes her to the sweat tents to discuss what will happen next with Rand and the Aiel. She also charges Aviendha with staying close to Rand, to teach him and learn what she can of him (TSR, Ch. 35).
- Amys and Bair circulate through the wounded after the Trolloc attack at Imre Stand, along with Moiraine and Egwene (TSR, Ch. 37).
- Amys and the other Wise Ones agree to let Egwene unbraid her hair. She also accompanies Egwene, Moiraine, and the other Wise Ones to check on Rand at the end of the day to see how he is holding up. Amys and the other Wise Ones also begin teaching Aviendha to channel, and tell Moiraine and Egwene to stay out of it (TSR, Ch. 48).
- Upon reaching Cold Rocks Hold, Amys breaks away from the other Wise Ones to join Rhuarc in meeting up with Lian, her sister-wife and the Roofmistress of Cold Rocks. They greet Rand, and Lian gives him permission to enter her hold. Amys agrees with Rand's request to keep Aviendha as his teacher. Amys is not pleased at Moiraine's statement that there will probably be more Aes Sedai in the Aiel Waste soon (TSR, Ch. 49).
- Amys orders Aviendha to clean the rugs and carpets from the hold. She and the other Wise Ones speak to Rand about Aviendha's purpose with him, and Amys orders a gai'shain to show Rand his room when Melaine begins to get angry with him (TSR, Ch. 50).
- Nynaeve goes into Tel'aran'rhiod to meet with Amys, Bair, and Egwene to discuss the goings on in Tanchico and with Rand. While there, Amys transforms Nynaeve into a young girl to teach her a lesson on controlling her thoughts in the dream. She also tells Nynaeve of the way to search Tel'aran'rhiod using need (TSR, Ch. 52).
- Amys prevents Moiraine from going down into the Bowl of Alcair Dal because Rand needs to handle "chiefs' business" (TSR, Ch. 57).
- Rand confirms with Aviendha that Amys, Bair, and Melaine are not happy with him for shielding his dreams from them (TFoH, Ch. 4).
- Amys, Bair, Melaine, and Aviendha meet with Egwene and Moiraine in the sweat tents to discuss Rand and their intentions to follow him and do what is best for the Aiel, not the White Tower. Once Moiraine leaves Amys and the other Wise Ones, they discuss Aviendha with Egwene, and then Melaine asks Amys and Bair to talk to Dorindha for her, as she wishes to marry Dorindha's husband, Bael (TFoH, Ch. 5).
- Egwene learns to find certain people's dreams by finding Amys' one night, and they celebrate by sharing tea, in the dream, at Cold Rocks Hold (TFoH, Ch. 7).
- When camp is made overnight in Jangai Pass, Amys, Bair, and Melaine have their tents put up by gai'shain (TFoH, Ch. 21).
- Amys, along with Egwene, Melaine, and Bair, comes to check on Rand after yet another Trolloc attack. Amys and Bair make a wager on who Melaine will check on first after they're done, Dorindha or Bael (TFoH, Ch. 22).
- Amys and Bair punish the Maidens that were with Rand the night of the attack by making them make dolls and carry them as reminders that they are no longer children (TFoH, Ch. 23).
- Amys and Bair surprise Egwene in Tel'aran'rhiod and scold her for showing up early, without them (TFoH, Ch. 24).
- Amys discusses with the other Wise Ones the allowance of Aviendha's participation in the battle against the Shaido (TFoH, Ch. 43).
- After the battle, Amys, Bair, Melaine, and Sorilea guard Rand's rest, along with several hundred Aiel, and don't allow a Tairen and Cairhienin delegation in to see him (TFoH, Ch. 45).
- Amys and Egwene meet again with Nynaeve and Elayne in Tel'aran'rhiod. Amys is surprised to see both of them there, and her disapproval at how hard Rand is pushing himself is evident on her face. Amys gives them news of the battle with the Shaido, and questions whether or not the Aes Sedai in Salidar will follow Rand. She is also displeased to find that Elayne and Nynaeve have other ter'angreal that allow them to Dreamwalk (TFoH, Ch. 47).
- Amys and a large group of Wise Ones come to meet with Rand to remind him that his obligations to Elayne don't outweigh his obligations to the Aiel (TFoH, Ch. 52).
- Amys and Bair, along with Melaine and Sorilea, rush to check on Aviendha and Egwene after the attack by Lanfear. They forbid her from going with Rand or Dreamwalking until they say she is well. Mat later tells Rand that Amys says that Egwene will be well after a few days' rest (TFoH, Ch. 53).
- Amys sends Aviendha along with Rand on his journey - the other Wise Ones question her success with Rand, and Amys begins to tell them something when she spots Rand nearby and gives him a dirty look (TFoH, Ch. 54).
- Amys, Bair, and Melaine come to check on Egwene's recovery after being attacked by Lanfear. She then sends Cowinde out to search for a red grain of sand in the sandpile outside, to try to get her to accept that her time as gai'shain is done. She and the other Wise Ones discuss Carlinya's accusation that the Wise Ones are holding Egwene against her will. Amy continues to teach Egwene about the Dream, but will not let her into Tel'aran'rhiod yet (LoC, Ch. 15).
- Amys turns Egwene away when she tries to follow Aviendha into a meeting in the Wise One's tent (LoC, Ch. 18).
- Amys and a contingent of Wise Ones, Cairhienin, and Tairens show up at the Sun Palace to witness Mangin's hanging (LoC, Ch. 19).
- Amys, Bair, and Sorilea are having tea with Berelain when Egwene arrives to tell them that a group of Aes Sedai have come to the palace. Amys agrees to tell Rhuarc to see Berelain when he returns, and she kisses Berelain on the forehead and cheeks in farewell, as the Aiel do with their children. Amys then asks Egwene about the Aes Sedai that have arrived and follows with an examination on Egwene's health (LoC, Ch. 24).
- Amys and a tentful of Wise Ones discuss the embassy from the White Tower with Egwene. After the discussion, Amys takes a small group of Wise Ones and heads for the palace (LoC, Ch. 25).
- In a foul mood, Rand yells at Amys and Sorilea, startling them and putting them in a foul mood too (LoC, Ch. 28).
- Amys and Sorilea come back from their meeting with Rand in a terrible mood, which is only made worse by the presence of the Shaido Wise Ones in the camp. Amys and Bair take Egwene on a couple of short trips to Tel'aran'rhiod to see how she is healing, and then come to check on her and test her health after each trip (LoC, Ch. 32).
- Amys, Bair, and Egwene meet with seven of the Aes Sedai from Salidar in Tel'aran'rhiod. The Aes Sedai summon Egwene to them when they arrive (LoC, Ch. 32).
- Amys, Bair, and Sorilea come to Egwene's tent after the meeting with the Salidar Aes Sedai. She admits her lies to them about being Aes Sedai and entering Tel'aran'rhiod when she was not supposed to, and asks them to help her meet her toh. They, along with Cosain, Estair, Aeron, Surandha, and several other Wise Ones, strap Egwene until they say she has no more toh towards them. Although Bair will continue to teach Egwene in Tel'aran'rhiod, Amys no longer will because she swore she would stop teaching Egwene if Egwene ever entered Tel'aran'rhiod without permission (LoC, Ch. 33).
- Amys, Bair, Sorilea, and a group of other Wise Ones come to check on Rand after hearing that he's collapsed, and they question Min about her abilities as they examine Rand (LoC, Ch. 50).
- Because Amys has said that she will no longer teach Egwene in the dream, she does not go with Bair and Melaine when Egwene goes to meet with them in Tel'aran'rhiod (LoC, Ch. 52).
- Amys, along with Rhuarc, Sorilea, and Nandera, goes to Perrin's room to discuss a course of action after Rand is kidnapped. Amys tells Rhuarc that he needs to tell Perrin everything, and Rhuarc tells Perrin that they can only take Maidens and algai'd'siswai to rescue Rand (LoC, Ch. 53).
- Amys and Sorilea accompany a small group of Maidens and Aiel to meet up with Perrin to let him know what numbers of Aiel are going after Rand. Amys tells Perrin that Sorilea lead the Wise Ones, 94 in number (LoC, Ch. 54).
- Amys joins the other Wise Ones in fighting at the battle at Dumai's Wells when they realize that the Shaido Wise Ones are fighting (LoC, Ch. 55).
- Amys accompanies Rand around Dumai's Wells as he views the carnage after the battle. When they return to camp, she takes the Wise Ones aside to confer with Sorilea and the Wise Ones that didn't go out with them. Amys and Sorilea speak with Rand about having the Aes Sedai that kidnapped him turned over to them for guarding (ACoS, Ch. 2).
- Amys and Sorilea are approached by one of the Wise Ones that stayed behind in Cairhien when they return. Feraighin tells them about the Aiel that have fallen to the Bleakness and the other problems with the Aiel since Rand has been kidnapped (ACoS, Ch. 3).
- Egwene summons Amys and the other Wise Ones to meet her in Tel'aran'rhiod. They startle her on their arrival, but then they settle to discuss the reason that Egwene was summoned from the Wise Ones and her new status. They also discuss Egwene's apprehensions about Rand, and Amys promises that she will not interfere if Rand wants to talk to Merana (ACoS, Ch. 10).
- Amys comes to see Rand after his trip to the rebel camp south of Cairhien. She dismisses Bera and Kiruna and speaks with Cadsuane. She watches carefully as Flinn uses the Asha'man version of Healing on Rand (ACoS, Ch. 36).
- Rands wakes to find Amys, a few Aes Sedai, and some Asha'man in his room, with Min protecting him and yelling at them. When Rand says he wants to get out of bed, Amys threatens to have Nandera and the other Maidens help him out of bed. When he sends all the women out so he can talk to the Asha'man, Amys tells him he may not leave his rooms before leaving with Bera and Kiruna (ACoS, Ch. 41).
- Amys, along with several other Wise Ones, participates in Elayne and Aviendha's first-sister ceremony. Amys acts as their new mother at the end of the ceremony (WH, Prologue).
- Amys, Bair, and Melaine question Aviendha and tell her she will be punished for going scouting as she is not yet a Wise One (TGS, Ch. 3).
- Amys asks Aviendha her opinion on Rand's actions then asks her about her personal intentions with Rand (TGS, Ch. 3).
- Amys tells Aviendha that she is strong (TGS, Ch. 3)
- Amys, Melaine, and Bair are present when Rand meets with the Clan chiefs and tells them his plan for Arad Doman (TGS, Ch. 7).
- Amys tells Aviendha that sometimes people are so concerned with what they have done that they fail to consider what they have not (TGS, Ch. 15).
- Corana tells Amys and Aviendha about the Seanchan taking Shaido Wise Ones as damane. Amys says they will be dealt with once the war with the Shadow is done (TGS, Ch. 15).
- Aviendha tells Amys, Bair, and Melaine that she is ready to become a Wise One (TGS, Ch. 23).
- Amys is with Cadsuane when Nynaeve arrives to tell them what happened at Natrin's Barrow (TGS, Ch. 37).
- When Cadsuane says Nynaeve may be the only one of the current crop who is salvageable, Amys corrects her and says Egwene has much honour (TGS, Ch. 37).
- She meets with Egwene in tel'aran'rhiod and tells her that Rand has changed (ToM, Ch. 14)
- Egwene suggests to her that the White Tower might send novices to train with the Wise Ones (ToM, Ch. 14)
- Egwene tells Amys that Rand intends to break the seals, and she leaves to consult the clans (ToM, Ch. 14).
- She meets with Egwene and the Windfinders and discusses the possibility of an alliance between the three groups (ToM, Ch. 36).
- Amys is one of the Wise Ones present when Aviendha tells of her visions,from the glass columns, of the future and the fall of the Aiel (AMoL, Prologue).
- During the meeting where the Dragon's Peace is signed, she stands with Egewene (AMoL, Ch. 5)
- She,Bair and Melaine meet with Egwene in Tel'aran'rhiod,they discuss about the black cracks in the rocks that are created by the extensive use of Balefire.The Wise Ones and Egwene say their farewells (AMoL, Ch. 19).
- Amys joins forces with Aviendha, Cadsuane, Talaan and Alivia to battle Graendal(AMoL, Ch. 42).
Amys is wife to Rhuarc and sister-wife to Lian, who is also married to Rhuarc (TSR, Ch. 12).
"That was left to Amys and Lian, lying on either side of Rhuarc and smiling at each other almost as much as their husband. If they had both married him so as not to break up their friendship, it was plain they both loved him." (TSR, Ch. 49).
Amys agrees to tell Rhuarc to see Berelain when he returns, and she kisses Berelain on the forehead and cheeks in farewell, as the Aiel do with their children (LoC, Ch. 24).
"You are like a girl just wedded to the spear who thinks now she can wrestle men and leap mountains. For her it means a few bruises and a valuable lesson in humility. For you, here, it could mean death." Amys eyed the white buildings around them and grimaced. "Tanchico in...Tarabon? This city is dying, eating itself. There is a darkness here, an evil. Worse than men can make. Or women." She looked at Egwene pointedly. "You cannot see it, or feel it, can you? And you want to hunt Shadowrunners in Tel'aran'rhiod." (The Shadow Rising, Chapter 11).
"The danger is this, and you must be aware of it." The Wise One leaned toward her intently, driving her words home with a time as sharp as her gaze. "Each step is made blind, with eyes closed. You cannot know where you will be when you open your eyes. And finding the water does no good if you are standing in a den of vipers. The fangs of a mountain king kill as quickly in the dream as in waking. I think these women Egwene speaks of will kill more quickly than the snake." (The Shadow Rising, Chapter 52)
"There is much ji in her decision. She will bend her enemies to her will, not run from them. I wish you well in your dance, Egwene al'Vere." (A Crown of Swords, Chapter 10)
"This is my daughter Aviendha," Amys said, "and this is my daughter Elayne, born on the same day, within the same hour. May they always guard one another, support one another, love one another." She laughed softly, tiredly, fondly. "And now will someone bring us garments before my new daughters and I all freeze to death?" (Winter's Heart, Prologue)
"No woman is ready until she has declared herself ready. She must see herself as our equal." (To Aviendha; The Gathering Storm, Chapter 23)